Friday, June 15, 2012

Crosby's New Contract

Hey All,

I know hockey ended this month, but that doesn't mean there isn't any news going on in the world of the NHL. Some players becoming free agents as of the summer of 2013, and one player in particular I want to talk about is the great Sidney Crosby. He has been with the Pens since joining the league and will look to stay in the burgh.

Crosby becomes an unrestricted free agent in Summer 2013, but one imagines he'll finalize a new contract with the Pittsburgh Penguins before the rules change for player compensation and contract duration under the next CBA.

The question is how large the Penguins and Crosby want to go in keeping the captain in the Steel City.

Elliotte Friedman of CBC Sports revealed some details on the Crosby contract picture during the Hot Stove report on Saturday night.

He's coming into the last year of a five-year, $8.7 million a year contract. When they made that deal, his agent Pat Brisson and the Penguins discussed a longer term but decided not to do it. Now there's an appetite for it. I think we're going to have a pretty good idea by July 1, which is the earliest they can even sign him to a deal, if it's going to get done. It might even be done by then.

His new contact won't cover concussions, but it's Sidney Crosby, wouldn't you do it? I know I would. But it's not up to me, it's up to the Pittsburgh Penguins. I'm sure they will make a deal and it would be a long one to keep Crosby a Penguin. I will keep you up to date as soon as I know anything.

Until next time,
You keep doing what you do, and I'll keep you up to date with everything sports.

No comments:

Post a Comment