Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Vick Is Still An Eagle

Hey All,

The Eagles head coach, Chip Kelly, has agreed to a one year deal with QB Michael Vick worth $10 million. Now this is a little but of a pay cut from the $15 million he would have gotten in 2013, but seeing how Vick didn't produce last year, I don't see any problem with this deal.

Vick can be a 1000 yard rusher under Kelly's offense, but he will need to stay healthy, which is a problem for running QB's. To make matters worse, Kelly has told Vick that he's not even guaranteed to be the starter. He's going to have to win the position from backup Nick Folks, who came in late last season to replace the injured Vick, and won the starting job under Andy Reid.

I personally don't think that the Eagles should have kept Vick to run Kelly's offense, but that's just me. I think the Eagles should have cut Vick and pursued other options like Dennis Dixon. Dixon has played for and ran Chip Kelly's offense at Oregon. I don't see the problem with signing him to the team instead of Vick. Dixon is taller, already knows the offense, and in my opinion has a better arm than Vick.

I liked Dixon when he was backing up Ben Roethlisberger in Pittsburgh, and know he is more than capable to be a starting quarterback in the NFL. You get him with the right coach, like Kelly, and he can be a very dangerous QB.

I am not saying that Vick is a bad QB, I'm just saying he's not right for Chip Kelly's offense. Vick is a good football player, he's just not the guy who should be taking the rains for Chip Kelly. Dennis Dixon on the other hand, is very comparable to Michael Vick, but better.

Vick is a 56.3% passer, averaging 7.02 yards, with 123 touchdowns and 82 interceptions, and has 20,274 over his career. Running on the other hand, Vick averages 7 yards per carry, pretty good, but he's ran the ball 791 times, and as a quarterback your body can't take that kind of beating.

Dixon, although he hasn't started but 4 games, is a 59.3% passer, averages 6.81 yards, has 1 touchdown and 2 interceptions, and has 402 yards over his career. When Dixon is on the run he averages 5.6 yards per carry, that's not bad for a QB.

Vick has played in 121 games, and I'm not sure how much longer his body will hold up. I'm interested to see how this "one year try out" goes for Vick. I don't think he will last long in the high power, high flying, high speed offense of Chip Kelly. He's too injury prone and I don't think he will be the starter long.

Until next time,
You keep doing what you do, and I'll keep you yo to date with everything sports.

No comments:

Post a Comment